TEC or Telecommunication Engineering Centre provides the necessary certificate after proper testing of telecom products. TEC functions under DoT or Department of Telecommunication, Government of India.
As per the Indian National Policy 2012 & amended Telegraph rules 2017, testing & certification of all telecom products are necessary to ensure safety to connect & seamless functioning in existing & future network.
What is TEC
Full form of TEC is Telecommunication Engineering Centre. TEC is a Professional body for the Testing and standards for Department of Telecom, Government of India. TEC takes care of testing and certifying equipment and products for the Telecom Industry.
Why TEC Certificate is required?
In simple words, The Government departments and corporates require that the telecom equipment that they use needs to be TEC certified. Why? Because TEC certificate guarantees the safety and standard of the equipment. Here are the reasons in detail.
- The Indian telegraph rules 2017, requires every OEM or Original Equipment Manufacturer and importer who wishes to sell or import any telecom products in India must get its telecom product tested & certified by TEC and mark or affix the product with appropriate certificate label.
- It ensures that telecom equipment does not degrade the performance of an existing network where it is connected.
- It ensures the safety of end users.
- Protection of users & the general public by ensuring that RF or Radio Frequency emission from equipment does not exceed the prescribed standards.
- The telecom equipment complies with relevant national and international standards & requirements.
- The telecom equipment meets all TEC prescribed ERs or Essential Requirements.
- As per TEC, the deadline for mandatory testing of telecom equipment is now 1st August 2019.
Activities of TEC (tec.gov.in)
- Issue of GR or Generic Requirements, IR or Interface Requirements, SR or Service Requirements and Standards for telecom products & services.
- Field evaluation of products and systems
- National Fundamental Plans
- Support to DoT on technology issues
- Testing & Certification of Telecom products
Regional TEC Offices
For the Testing purpose, there are four regional telecom engineering centres (RTECs).
- New Delhi
Obtain a Free Demo of CRM that works with your Telephony System.
Types of TEC Requirements
Interface Requirement (IR)
- IR issued by TEC ensures that telecom equipment inter-works appropriately with the other products/network of Indian Telecom Network.
- Telecom equipment meets the EMI/EMC (Electromagnetic Interference/Electromagnetic Compatibility)
- Telecom equipment meets the safety standards specified by TEC
- Telecom equipment meets the minimum standard requirements for electrical compatibility as specified by TEC
- Telecom equipment compliant with the regulation of the TRAI or Telecom Regulatory Authority of India
Generic Requirement (GR)
Generic Requirement of telecom product refers to a set of requirements pertaining to performance and features besides Interface Requirement of the product.
Service Requirement (SR)
Service Requirement of a telecom service refers to a set of requirements/specification issued by TEC pertaining to roll-out obligations, service quality etc. as prescribed by Licensor in the relevant License.
Types of certification
Type approval is the process of testing and certification of telecom product, in accordance with Test Schedule & Test Procedure (TSTP) of TEC, for conformance with the Generic Requirement GR of the product issued by TEC.
Interface Approval is the process of testing and certification of telecom product, in accordance with Test Schedule & Test Procedure (TSTP) of TEC, for conformance with the Interface Requirement IR of the product issued by TEC.
Certificate of Approval
Certificate of Approval is the process of testing and certification of telecom product as per the manufacturer’s specifications. This certificate is granted only when TEC does not have a Generic or Interface Requirement of the product. The testing shall be conducted in accordance with the Test Schedule & Test Procedure (TSTP) approved by TEC.
Steps to do before applying for TEC certification
- The website for TEC is tec.gov.in. The organisation has to go through the TEC website & study it properly.
- There are multiple IR or Interface Requirement, GR or Generic Requirement, SR or Service Requirement for telecom equipment.
- One can search & purchase IR/GR on e-purchase tec website. IR/GR documents are not free.
- The complete guide for e-purchase TEC is available online. For TEC certification of PABX or Private Automatic Branch Exchange or TEC certification of IP PBX, The latest IR document number is TEC/IR/SW/PBX-104/04/OCT-17.
- The organisation has to read IR/GR documents properly & ensure that its telecom product fulfils the requirements.
- The document for complete certification is available online from Non-Tax Revenue Portal. The organisation has to register on NTRP or Non-Tax Revenue Portal & make the payment of Rs. 400 with purpose selected as “Sale of the document”.
- After completing the payment procedure on the NTRP portal, the certification procedure document is available for download.
- The Certification document number is TEC/MP/DD/TAP-701/01/NOV-15. The user guide for payment on NTRP portal can be found from https://bharatkosh.gov.in/static/Template/UserGuideBharatkosh.pdf
- The certification procedure document contains complete guidance for the TEC certification process along with different registration forms like Form A, Form A1, Form B, Form T & other documents required.
Obtain a Free Demo of CRM that works with your Telephony System.
Technical Regulation application for Certification
The technical regulation is as per the IR/GR documents of telecom equipment. The standard tests are as below.
- EMI/EMC (Electromagnetic Interference/Electromagnetic Compatibility)
- Safety test of telecom equipment
- Technical requirements as per IR/GR
- Security requirement as per notification issued by DoT
Mandatory Documents required for Certification
- A Copy of Income Tax Return filed by the applicant for the last financial year.
- A Copy of the Balance Sheet of the applicant for the last financial year.
- The authorisation letter for the authorised signatory for signing Form A.
- Import/Export code as applicable to the product or part.
- Specification of equipment containing features, facilities and physical description.
- Installation/ System Operation & Maintenance/User Manual of the equipment preferably, in CD/DVD.
- Certificate as per the pre requisite in IR/GR documents. Eg. EMI/EMC test certificate, Safety test certificate etc.
- Copy of earlier valid certificate in case of renewal or testing of additional optional interfaces of products.
- Copy of Industrial License, SSI registration, certificate of incorporation as an application for Indian OEM.
- Copy of Registration/Certificate of Incorporation of the trader in India as applicable for application as a trader.
- Authorisation from the foreign OEM that the trader is authorised for applying to TEC for getting a certificate of a specific product for application as a trader.
- Authorisation by foreign OEM declaring the applicant as their authorised Indian trader/dealer/distributor/representative/ channel partner/Branch office for the product clearly indication the after sale support and the validity period for application as a trader.
How to apply for certification?
- The applicant is required to apply to the respective Regional TEC office, as per Geographical Zone.
- The applicant has to fill Form-A & submit it to RTEC along with required documents.
- It intimates the Applicant when the Form-A and other documents are found satisfactory. The applicant has to deposit a testing fee by quoting the unique reference number.
- It defines the category of the testing equipment. The Fee structure for TEC certification as per equipment category is available online.
- The testing fee has to be paid online through the NTRP portal. While depositing the fee, mention the Unique Reference number given by RTEC.
- The user guide for payment on the NTRP portal is available online.
- After successful payment, the applicant shall submit a duly filled registration form (Form-B) along with online receipt of paid fees.
- If Form-B and test fee charges found proper, the application will be registered.
- The test schedule and testing are done in accordance with the Test Schedule & Test Procedure (TSTP) prescribed by TEC for particular GR/IR.
- After successful completion of testing, approval certificate shall be issued by TEC.
- Validity – The validity of TEC certificate is Five years.
Nice Also Check
Good blog. Here is Silvereye Certifications is no 1 BIS Certification Consultants in India. It helps to get all bis products certification and WPC- ETA, TEC, E-waste, EPR Approval, International certification, etc.
Did you find this review helpful? Yes (3) No (2)