Enjay Synapse works on the PRI line, whereas many people are still using PSTN lines, there is a huge difference in pricing, working & technology of both. There is always one question – PSTN v/s PRI.
On the Internet, you might find many many articles which explain the technicalities in detail, but this article will help you understand the whole technology from a layman’s point of view.
PRI connection seems to be costlier @ first glance, however, if we understand the benefits correctly – we will realize that we can save lots of money.
Note: this is not a comparison between Enjay Synapse Server and PSTN lines – Enjay Synapse Server has many other advantages – which will be covered in another article.
A more detailed version of this article will be shortly published on www.ens.net.in in the Enjay Synapse section.
- PSTN – Public Switched Telephone Network – which in other words is our normal phone Landlines which we get from BSNL / MTNL
- PRI -Primary Rate Interface – don’t go by the Jargon, in simple words, it’s a digital connection – which gives you 30 simultaneous telephone conversations.
- Of course, PRI can be used for lots of other things – but to make things simple, we will stick to this definition.
Generally, people argue that they use 6 or 10 PSTN lines, hence, can’t afford PRI connection. Here are some points for their consideration.
Advantages of PRI :
- Crystal Clear – digital voice.
- Everything in PRI connection – all the equipment, cables, protocols – everything is digital – nothing is analog.
- As a result – you get a crystal clear voice – which is un-imaginable in the case of normal PSTN lines.
- Why? In the case of PSTN lines, there is a conversion from digital to analog @ more than 2 levels – when one call is established. – This conversion leads to lots of disturbances.
- Extremely fast call connection
- You will be surely surprised when you use the PRI for the first time, it’s amazingly fast
- Pooling of bill for all 30 lines
- If you have 10 PSTN lines, with the same or different calling plans – you will have to manually decide from which number to make calls.
- It may happen that for the first 3 numbers – you make lots of outward calls – and end up getting a huge bill.
- Whereas for other numbers – you don’t even use the free calls.
- Now, with PRI – this is automatically solved – all the calls from all the 30 lines are pooled together – when you are being billed.
- Automatic Call Distribution
- With these 30 lines, you get 100 numbers – which means they are your hunting lines – if one line is busy the call can land on the next line – your customer never gets a busy tone. – GREAT feature
- DID – Direct Inward Calling.
- You can publish various telephone numbers for different people/departments in your company.
- Example – 0260-6612900 is supposed to reach Enjay Sales Desk, 0260-6612950 will reach Support Desk directly.
- This feature is built-in into PRI technology, for normal PSTN lines, this is not available – it has to be done through an expensive EPBX box.
- DOD – Direct Outward Dialling
- Many times it happens that you receive a call from some company, and you are not able to pick up the call.
- Now when you call back – the call lands to the receptionist – she has no idea who made the call.
- This happens because a normal EPBX – makes outward calls thru any available telephone line.
- With PRI – this problem is solved – the call is always made outside using the user’s DID number – which means that the person being called – if calls back – the call will land exactly to the person who had originally called.
- Easily expandable
- PRI line is actually a 2 Mbps line, which utilizes 64 Kbps for each call. This is also called the E1 line – which has 32 channels of 64 Kbps – out of which 2 are for control and the rest 30 are used for communication.
- So, the number of PRI lines can be increased on very short notice.